Differences Between A Portable Air Conditioner And A Wall Air Conditioner
A portable air conditioner brings together a single device, the two parts of an air conditioner customarily separated. On the one hand, the compressor, which is usually located outside the home, is the evaporator, which is usually located inside.
The portable air conditioner has to be placed near a window in which an adapter kit must be installed consisting of a hose that goes from the equipment to the window, through which the hot air comes out. The connection between the hose and the window should be sealed and possible to minimize the loss of energy efficiency. It is also essential that it is near an electrical outlet and installed by the best company.
- It is portable: Although it seems obvious, it is necessary to highlight its greatest virtue and that the device can be moved. Not that they are exceptionally light, but they can be easily moved from one room to another. This is especially useful if we spend a lot of time in several rooms, for example in the office during the day and in the bedroom at night.
- It is cheap: Although there is a fairly wide price range, it is relatively cheaper than a wall-mounted air conditioner.
- It is easy to install: To be more exact, it does not require any installation. We will only need to remove the tube through which the hot air is expelled through a window. Some units have another drain pipe for condensed water, although many have a small internal tank.
- It is noisy: Although technology has improved a lot in recent years, having the compressor inside the house, the noise is much higher than in fixed wall air units. It is essential to consider and carefully observe the characteristics of the model that we are going to buy if we do not want to get unpleasant surprises. It is usually indicated in decibels dB on the model sheet. Sounds below 40 decibels are considered pleasant.
- It is not very efficient: As in the previous section, portable air conditioners have improved a lot in a few years, but their efficiency cannot be compared with that of a wall-mounted split device. Its energy efficiency is lower since the tube we have to take out the window is hot, and that heat remains inside the room. Besides, if we do not seal the hole through which we remove the tube well, heat will always enter from the outside. 99% of them (it seems that LG has released one) do not use Inverter technology, so they always work at maximum power.
- It takes up space in the room: Unlike a wall air conditioner, the portable air conditioner occupies a space wherever we have it. We will have to find a space for him.
Whenever we need to repair it urgently it is best we consult emergency repair and service company.